Welcome! I grew up in Northern California in a small community where living 'naturally' was the way of life. From a very young age, I learned how to grow vegetables and flowers, build things, paint; how to earn money selling figs from my tree outside a local toy store. I was taught to use my imagination, entertain myself, play outside, and create whatever I wanted. I was taught to never say "I can't" and that "where there is a will, there is a way." In 2006, I could no longer watch my husband suffer with the misery of psoriasis. So, 'naturally' I started creating my own concoctions in my kitchen. I drew from my 20 years in the cosmetic business and began researching, ordering, and mixing every natural, earth-grown, ingredient I could find that had ever been thought to soothe skin conditions. I already knew that the thousands of petroleum derived ingredients in the products we had tried would never help and that the 'natural' options that were available were too basic. 7 years and Hundreds of experiments later, I am the proud maker of a completely natural skin care line that is healing, soothing, richly nourishing, elegantly packaged, and lovely to use... which is what I call..."naturally luxurious."

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

My Love of Local Bees Wax and Honey

Bees wax is an ingredient that is used in every one of my products.  I originally chose this ingredient simply because of chemistry - it 'emulsifies' (or combines) solid and liquid oils.  But along the way, I have noticed that there was something really special about bees wax.  On a gorgeous hot day last summer, I put some bees wax on the stove to melt.  While it was melting the smell of the bees wax was intoxicating, so I opened all of the windows and the doors to let in a breeze.  I sat by the window daydreaming while waiting for the wax to melt.  Thank goodness I was looking out the window because all of a sudden a HUGE swarm of honey bees was right there trying to get in!  It was like the 'call of the wild'! They smelled the bees wax and thought it was home I guess. It was incredible!

Lori Dekker - Bee Keeper www.californiabeeworks.net
email lori@californiabeeworks.net
Whenever possible, I try to source ingredients locally, so I was thrilled to have recently had the pleasure of being introduced to Lori Dekker, a Bee Keeper in Escondido, Ca.  (www.californiabeeworks.net). She educated me on the benefits of using local bees wax and the positive effects that bees have on the global and local environments.  Some interesting facts: 1.burning bees wax emits negative ions - kind of like Prozac in the air (this makes people happy!), 2. bees wax is renewable and burns brighter, cleaner, longer, and soot-free than cheaper paraffin candles that are made from methane emitting petroleum bi-products, 3. buying local

Lavender Infused Honey
honey and bees wax products keeps money in our own communities instead of sending it to other countries like China (who produce most all of the paraffin candles), and 4. supporting independent Bee Keepers helps to keep the Bee population alive and thriving.  Not to mention bees wax smells incredible!

From now on, Lori's bees wax will be the only bees wax used in Naturally Luxurious Skin Care by Lacey Haegen!  PS:  Not only are Lori's candles amazing, if you like Honey, try her Lavender Infused Local Honey - it will blow your mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment